E-Cigs Get Slammed When Synthetic Drug Should Be Getting All The Attention
A 16-year-old Michigan student has been arrested after an electronic cigarette he gave to another student caused that that student to get sick. Deputies in Genesee County, Michigan announced that they had made the arrest last week in response to an incident on December 9th.
The coverage of the incident focuses on the one student giving another an electronic cigarette. But it should read that one gave a synthetic drug to the other. That the drug was in an electronic cigarette is not a problem for all e-cigs. This would be like saying “Man kills another man by giving him a spoon” when what he gave him was heroin and a spoon to use it.
As the story goes, one student gave the other an electronic cigarette. It’s unclear whether this was given to the other student entirely or the other student the two shared. Whatever the case, the second was admitted to a hospital for an undescribed illness and later released. What coverage of the story leaves out of the lead is that that e-cig contained a synthetic drug called Cloud 9.
You can read about the incident right here.
The way the article reads, one might think that any electronic cigarette could cause illness and probably contains illicit drugs. One could even be forgiven for thinking that a teen was arrested for giving another an electronic cigarette and not necessarily for giving the other one a synthetic drug.
This is yet another incident in which an otherwise standard criminal story is spun in a way that make e-cigs look like the primary culprit. We certainly can’t do something about all stories like these, but we can point out the silliness of them when we run into them.