Board index Electronic Cigarettes General Vaping Discussion Wicks and Wire - let the games begin!

Wicks and Wire - let the games begin!

All things electronic cigarette: your favorite e-cigs, e-liquids, mods or what you're vaping right now. Get it all out there!
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
33.7%
Has liked: 692 times
Been liked: 1087 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
29 Apr 2012
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:13 pm
Never did I think I'd be watching the mailbox for a spool of wire and some wick material - but I'm seriously looking forward to this! Just a few months ago lil nooby disposable e-cigs and about to make my 1st attempt at my own rebuilt coil and wick for my nova. I got what everyone said to get - but the wick does look a smidge bigger than what is "stock" - but if I fail, I guess I can always step down a .5 on it. 100 feet of wire and 20 feet of wick so.... Here goes nothing ;)

Spread the fever!
Progress to next rank:
16%
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

U.S.A.
Smoke Free Since:
01 Apr 2012
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:48 pm
Let us know how this goes. I have been really thining about trying it. Where did you pick up your supplies? Thanks
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
33.7%

United States
Smoke Free Since:
29 Apr 2012
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:53 pm
Well I pulled it off on my 2nd try - ended up with a 1.9 ohm coil that seems to vape really well. No shorts or craziness - just nice tasty vapor :) The taking apart and wrapping really is laughably easy. My only disagreement with these is the size of the wick - I think that a 1.5 or 2 mm (at least for the nova) would be the way to go. I managed with this 3mm wick and even opened the slots a tad, but smaller wick would have removed that issue and worked much better. Going to tinker around on a few more but will be ordering smaller wick for sure.

It's the little things that feel cool though. It was a simple process but it felt good knowing that I pulled it off - one more step up I guess on the learning curve of things :)

Oh, to answer your question - I simply ordered the wire and wick from ebay pretty dirt cheap. Looking at a few other sights and it all seems about the same - ballparkish of about .80 a foot for the wick and I got 100 feet of wire for 8 bucks - super cheap and more than enough to make many many coils!
Spread the fever!
Olympian Vaper
Progress to next rank:
41.8%
Has liked: 1499 times
Been liked: 1105 times

US
Smoke Free Since:
29 Jan 2012
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:26 am
I assume, Run, that when you say nova, you mean the nova rebuilable tank?... How is that working out for you?! I've been looking at it. I'd like to try a rebuilable tank like that. Just makes sense when you can get the stuff so cheap. I would just like to know how well it vapes before taking the plunge... :ugeek:
Like this one???
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
33.7%

United States
Smoke Free Since:
29 Apr 2012
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:34 am
hollyd wrote:I assume, Run, that when you say nova, you mean the nova rebuilable tank?... How is that working out for you?! I've been looking at it.

Not sure if that's a cool tank sleeve or what - but I redid the ones on the regular vivi nova. Ran it since last night on two and so far so good. The wick as I said was a bit large - so my 2nd one I used just one wick and 1.6 ohm where it came out and working great. Super super easy! Flip to about the middle of Phi's vid - laughably easy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6_b-uUKVJg

Small add by the way - I got a set of finger nail clippers at the dollar store and they work like a charm - let's you snip the wires right at the base as well nice and clean. The 1st one I did took a few minutes because my mind over complicated it - but on the 2nd go we're talking less than 5 minutes from start to finish. As I type this, still wicking, vaping and tasting great along with the cool factor of "I did this one!" :D
Last edited by runarnd on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spread the fever!
Heroic Vaper
Progress to next rank:
18.1%
Has liked: 879 times
Been liked: 1834 times

Illinois
Smoke Free Since:
07 Feb 2012
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:00 pm
LOL. I am a drummer,. And you all know the drummer joke, how do you get a drummer off your porch? Pay for the pizza!

Well anyhoo, I am probably not the sharpest tool in the box, so I would need step by step by step directions on how to do that. But it looks interesting and would be fun to try one day.
Senior Moderator
Has liked: 851 times
Been liked: 1446 times

Lexington, KY
Smoke Free Since:
01 Apr 2011
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:01 pm
Matt (Fazed) did a video on this that will hopefully be coming out soon...
The classy ECA moderator!
Heroic Vaper
Progress to next rank:
18.1%
Has liked: 879 times
Been liked: 1834 times

Illinois
Smoke Free Since:
07 Feb 2012
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:14 pm
cool! I will hopefully have internet back up at home come this Friday so I can start catching up. Would love to see this.
Supplier
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 452 times

No Country for Old Men
Smoke Free Since:
20 Apr 2011
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:44 pm
I didn't rebuild a vivi nova. I did a how to of making a stainless wick and coil in a more traditional genesis style atty tank. Wouldn't you know it though, the mic died halfway through, and now I have to over dub and re-record the audio. Hopefully that will get done in the next couple of days and up on the site soon.
For custom APV's using the DNA20D and Nivel chips, check out http://www.fazedboxmods.com.

My you tube channel http://www.youtube.com/Meolms1
Senior Moderator
Has liked: 2126 times
Been liked: 4168 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
23 Apr 2012
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:24 pm
forpetessake wrote:LOL. I am a drummer,. And you all know the drummer joke, how do you get a drummer off your porch? Pay for the pizza!

Well anyhoo, I am probably not the sharpest tool in the box, so I would need step by step by step directions on how to do that. But it looks interesting and would be fun to try one day.

I am with Pete on this one!

But alas, while I have the technology I do not have the internet support for a video :oops:

Something with small words and big pictures would be appreciated :mrgreen:

It's all mind over matter. If no one seems to mind, it really doesn't matter!

unclerj
Next