Board index Electronic Cigarettes General Vaping Discussion Vaping After a Tooth Extraction

Vaping After a Tooth Extraction

All things electronic cigarette: your favorite e-cigs, e-liquids, mods or what you're vaping right now. Get it all out there!
Progress to next rank:
62%
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 24 times

Smoke Free Since:
02 Feb 2013
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:07 pm
I searched for this under a couple of different terms, and according to the search bar, not a single post on the forum contains the word "after." I fail to believe that. :shock:

Anyway, I have great teeth, but my wisdom teeth gotta go. One is impacted, one's been broken six times, one's been broken twice, and the one that was fine broke a few days ago. When I spit it out, I noticed part of the root, which would explain why my gum hurts so bad. I'm pretty sure the nerve is exposed. Never heard of someone breaking the tooth up under the gum, but I'm not a simple woman. I'm trying to get together the cash to see a dentist, but I'm uninsured and also facing this crisis: fix my car or fix my teeth? The car is necessary for my job, but...

There is a point to all that. Since the teeth will likely just be pulled, and I know you can't smoke after an extraction, does anyone know if you can vape after an extraction? If need be, I will be a raging, nic-fitting monster for two days afterward, but I'd really rather not if I can get away with it. :lol:
Contributor
Progress to next rank:
32.5%
Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 249 times

United States
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:14 pm
The main reason they say you cant smoke is because sucking can pull the blood clot out causing a dry socket. This can happen with vaping too. If you decide to vape, just pack with gauze and try not to suck hard. A dry socket is some massive pain.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
31.6%
Has liked: 1441 times
Been liked: 735 times

Minnesota
Smoke Free Since:
25 Nov 2011
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:17 pm
Vaping uses the same sucking action as smoking, so the risk of dry sockets are the same from both. It's one of those "vape at your own risk" areas.

With that said...I had 7 extractions done at one time. Prior to surgery, I went through all my vape gear to find the lightest draw I could out of what I had, and vaped carefully with no problems. That is just me, and I was willing to take the risk. Keep in mind that dry sockets are not pleasant...and much more painful that nic fits...hehe.

Good luck with your extractions!
Progress to next rank:
62%

Smoke Free Since:
02 Feb 2013
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:18 pm
I didn't even think about that. I figured smoking would impede the amount of oxygen in the system, causing the tissues to have a hard time regenerating. My brain didn't even stop to consider the mechanics of it all. I'll probably just wait a couple of days with a quick hit here or there. Thank you both!
Advanced Contributor
Progress to next rank:
87%
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 505 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
02 Feb 2013
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:28 pm
I must have missed this post when it first came out. I will also verify that if you smoke/vape the problem is going to be pulling the clot out causing dry socket. And I can tell you its not a fun thing.

On a side note just for some general information, in most cities they have free dental pulling for people, its a first come first serve kind of deal and they will not write you a prescription for pain killers afterwords. They do numb you up for the process but it wont be fun. If it requires surgery to remove them then they wont touch you. If your trying to save up money for the procedure then I would suggest calling around and seeing if anyone is willing to give you a cash discount. And make sure that they are willing to do the pulling the same day as the xrays. They are going to make you get them before they will take you. The last time I had a tooth pulled I found a oral surgeon that did the whole thing x-rays, and extraction for just over $300 for cash up front. The regular dentists wanted over 500 for it, and they are not as qualified to do it. So make some calls and see what you can find! And good luck.
Progress to next rank:
62%

Smoke Free Since:
02 Feb 2013
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:48 pm
[quote="varguar"]I must have missed this post when it first came out. I will also verify that if you smoke/vape the problem is going to be pulling the clot out causing dry socket. And I can tell you its not a fun thing.

On a side note just for some general information, in most cities they have free dental pulling for people, its a first come first serve kind of deal and they will not write you a prescription for pain killers afterwords. They do numb you up for the process but it wont be fun. If it requires surgery to remove them then they wont touch you. If your trying to save up money for the procedure then I would suggest calling around and seeing if anyone is willing to give you a cash discount. And make sure that they are willing to do the pulling the same day as the xrays. They are going to make you get them before they will take you. The last time I had a tooth pulled I found a oral surgeon that did the whole thing x-rays, and extraction for just over $300 for cash up front. The regular dentists wanted over 500 for it, and they are not as qualified to do it. So make some calls and see what you can find! And good luck.[/quote]

Good info. My better half works for a local charity that runs a dental clinic. I scheduled an appointment in early November for January 8. They shut down November 15 to relocate, and they were supposed to open on Jan. 2. A month and a half after their open date, they're still closed and will be until March, at the earliest. One of the dental assistants there suggested going to a homeless clinic and telling them I'm crashing with friends or in my car. It's to the point I may do that, regardless of the guilt I feel for taking advantage of a service I don't technically qualify for when someone else may need it more.

(Also, the original post was put up only an hour or so ago. All the quick replies are appreciated.)
Senior Moderator
Has liked: 2133 times
Been liked: 4182 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
23 Apr 2012
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:57 pm
While I do not recommend that you vape after an extraction, I did it myself with no problems.

Up to you and I wish you the best!

It's all mind over matter. If no one seems to mind, it really doesn't matter!

unclerj
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
33.7%
Has liked: 692 times
Been liked: 1087 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
29 Apr 2012
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:03 pm
I think Patthib said it best with the "vape at your own risk" comment. I talked to my dentist and he said no...but I'm stubborn and vaped away about as much anyway. Two rounds for me so far within the last 5 weeks or so. 1st round was 4 on my lower left jaw including a wisdom tooth and then a couple of weeks ago I had 6 up top pulled including 2 wisdom teeth. (1 more round to go in 2 weeks..ugh!) I am by no means saying take the risk but just sharing my own experience. I used my kangar T2s after both rounds since they are so easy to get a drag from and never allowed full suction on the device - kept a small amount of my lip open...but still got in good draws with no negative results.

I feel your pain on that though (no pun intended) and a bad tooth can just bring you to your knees. Mine were breaking under the gums as well - seems I was gifted with poor enamel through genetics and it just all got worse the longer I put it off (I have been a brushing machine since I was a child and still got this junk). I am uninsured as well but I can say that Carrington 500 is a nice plan and gives great discounts! I think mine runs 7 bucks or so a month and it was about 40% off down the board on a lot of things. You just sign up when you need it and can dump it when you want - no contracts or such... just tossing that out there as someone who uses it & knows every dime saved helps! Best of luck with everything in the end for you!
Spread the fever!
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
86.8%
Has liked: 1099 times
Been liked: 1364 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
12 Dec 2012
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:10 pm
Its at your own risk... if your going to do it try to have the most open draw possible. Best of luck.
Olympian Vaper
Progress to next rank:
24.2%
Has liked: 930 times
Been liked: 1282 times
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:46 pm
I've lost a few teeth over the years & trust me you don't want to get dry socket it can be very painful & become infected which can cause other teeth near it problems.Just try to not vape or smoke & definitely don't eat anything other than very soft food.Also do not drink anything with alcohol for 24 hours and no I'm not kidding.
I'm 6 ' tall and a solid 250+ lbs and conked my head real good on my kitchen floor from doing that.
Next