Board index Electronic Cigarettes General Vaping Discussion Vape shop.. Hypothetically speaking..

Vape shop.. Hypothetically speaking..

All things electronic cigarette: your favorite e-cigs, e-liquids, mods or what you're vaping right now. Get it all out there!
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
3.3%
Has liked: 1239 times
Been liked: 974 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
22 Sep 2012
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:55 am
I'd love to do the same, but I don't have the time, nor the overhead to get it going. I would definitely recommend a nice selection of juices (0-24mg), a decent selection of ego and stick type batteries, a decent selection of varying juice vessels (tanks, cartos, etc), and a smaller selection of MODS... usually people will purchase their mods online, but if you can get a solid one cheap at a B&M store, great.
Great customer service is also a huge plus. Along with the freedom to come in and buy before you try.. ego style batteries (with varied voltage... after trying something like this, people will be sold), and a selection of juices.

Will sell myself for "likes", working overtime to pay for my hobby!
Supplier
Has liked: 989 times
Been liked: 1216 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
17 Nov 2011
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:01 am
Find a quote how much to rent a space is. Then get a quote how much insurance is going to be. Then see how much getting a business license is. Don't forget you will need capital to survive at least 2 years in the red as well.

If your really looking to do something I would go with doing flea markets for now. Your not putting out as much money as you would in a building. Here at least you can see how the market in the area is for that kind of stuff. You can also use this to build up capital as well. Do your research seriously because there is a lot to do and pay out before you even put a product on your shelf.
Apocalypse Juice
http://www.apocalypsejuice.com/
Makers Of End Of The World Juice!

Contributor
Progress to next rank:
57.5%
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 152 times

United States
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:32 am
Hi jonjay,
I've been working on opening a business for over a year now. It is TOUGH.

The first thing you should do, is locate a Small Business Development Center (SBDC). These are groups that are affiliated with the SBA, and also college campuses. Particularly if you haven't owned a business before, sign up for an attend one of their seminars on what's involved in owning a business. If you are OK with what you hear there, and want to go forward, they can assign a counselor to you that can help you get together the business plan, and profit and loss statements you would need to get a bank loan. Be aware, that you will need to come up with 10%-20% of your start up costs to land a bank loan to start a business. Most people will tell you, you'll need to come up with 20%.

It's really a tremendous amount of work and responsibility to start either a brink and mortar, or a web based business. Hosting fees, merchant accounts, liability insurance, racking to store your inventory, a POS system if you're going brick and mortar, computers, a copy of QuickBooks and the ability to navigate it. I'm not trying to discourage you, but it's a lot of work.

Also, I disagree with many of the posters that it's not possible to sell things for the same price in a B&M that they would fetch online, but real estate is a lot more workable in Central PA where I am, than where you are located.

PM me if you like, and I'll be glad to point you in the right direction if you're interested. Enough people in the community have certainly helped me. :)
Veteran Vaper
Progress to next rank:
52.4%
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 428 times

United States
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:36 am
If you can do it financially, the only bit of information I can offer is:

Have a lot of eGo style batteries/starter kits/general public things. And make them cost friendly. Those will be your hot sellers most likely. Not everyone in the world who takes on vaping wants a super awesome mod like most of us do lol.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
3.3%
Has liked: 1239 times
Been liked: 974 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
22 Sep 2012
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:06 pm
And egos are usually very affordable and easy to start with

Will sell myself for "likes", working overtime to pay for my hobby!
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
91.2%
Has liked: 1217 times
Been liked: 1265 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
20 Feb 2013
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:28 pm
jonjay wrote:Great info guys. Just wanted some feedback. I posted this in another forum (I wont name names) and I got a warning of some sort. :/ Love ECA! =)

@ms puffinstuff I'm not sure yet, but it's been on my mind. We'll see what transpires.. Just trying to put some feelers out. Where in suffolk county are you? Did you goto Vape fest ?

I live in Ronkonkoma. I was sooo going to vapefest, but it didn't turn out to be possible. So sorry I missed it.
Contributor
Progress to next rank:
39.5%
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 360 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
03 Mar 2013
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:56 pm
YOLO! If you want it bad enough, nothing will stop you. If you love what you do for a living, you'll never WORK another day in your life.
Advanced Contributor
Progress to next rank:
87%
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 505 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
02 Feb 2013
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:00 pm
I would also like to point out that you will need to get hold of a CPA, or tax accountant and have a sit down talk about taxes, payroll, and things like that. I used to manage a bar where I live at, and know a few of the pitfalls of owning a business. I'm glad someone else also pointed out to go to a seminar on how to start/run a small business. Every small business owner I know tells everyone else not to expect a real profit for the first 10 years. It will take that long to break even, so if you're looking to get into this you need to be looking long term and not for a short term gain.

I have now been to 2 B&M stores and I can tell you that from my visits the one thing that stuck with me was that the first store I went to had a tasting bar, and the second did not. I bought nothing at the second one. They were selling cheap dekang juice way overpriced, and they wouldn't let you try a flavor before buying it. The first had a taste bar, and plenty of places for people to sit and BS with other vapers. Be professional and friendly, stock the most common items (Ego style batteries, clearos, cart tanks, replacement cartos) and most of all talk with your customers. Make it a place people want to come to, don't mind if people sit for a few hours vaping and BS'ing. They are the people that will come back and spend money, even if its not much. You make more money on selling smaller amounts to repeat customers than to one guy that comes in and buys your most expensive mod. The guy that comes in once and never again will never tell anyone about your store, where they guys and gals that come in several times a week just to pass some time and occasionally buy something tells everyone who will listen that they do business at your store.

Also if you do end up starting up a B&M I would make friends with a bar owner near and try to get him to let you come in and hold a informal get together with other vapers. Its good business for both of you, and a good way to get a smoker into vaping, and hopefully a few new customers in the process.

Just a few thoughts. If you would like me to expand some more please send me a PM.

Contributor
Progress to next rank:
57.5%
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 152 times

United States
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:41 pm
I agree with everything varguar says, with the exception of how long it takes to turn a profit. I think you can turn a profit the first year. It won't be the kind of profit you can make after you pay off loans and get in the clear, but you can make money for sure. I have a friend that landed an SBA loan to buy small vending business about a year and a half ago, and he has already paid off over half his SBA loan, and virtually all the money his family floated him to get started.

The other side of that coin is, if your business hits a rough spot, you might not have money to pay yourself for awhile.

All these things are reason why it's worth it IMO to try and buy products from small or even large vendors, rather than co-ops. Paying 20, or 30, or even 50% more from a reputable vendor (particularly one with a B&M store), as well as contributing to CASAA, are the best things a vaper can do to grow the community.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
22.9%
Has liked: 2836 times
Been liked: 1024 times

usa
Smoke Free Since:
15 Jan 2013
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:43 pm
if i had about 20k-120k i would a start a shop too. too bad im at closer to about....100 bucks to my name atm, so thats not happening
PreviousNext