Sub-ohm coils?

All things electronic cigarette: your favorite e-cigs, e-liquids, mods or what you're vaping right now. Get it all out there!
Veteran Vaper
Progress to next rank:
52.4%
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 428 times

United States
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:54 pm
I just got my first mechanical mod the other day and decided to build my first sub ohm coil.. I'm guessing I'm missing something here.. I did a 2/3 wrap of 32g kanthal. The whole coil glowed almost white hot, but won't pop, so I guess that's good. Its wicking decently...no burned taste, but the wire between the wick and the pos/neg posts are still glowing even though the wick is saturated. My problem is my favorite juice just tastes awful. What I'm trying to figure out is what I'm doing wrong, since I see so many people who love sub ohm coils. Does it not make your juices flavor taste bad with so much heat being produced? Heck, I see people using a lower gauge than 32g with the same amount of wraps on YouTube vaping away like its the best thing ever lol.

Help?

I guess its worth noting I'm using a (CCTS) KTS two-tone mod, AGA-T+, 400 SS mesh wick, 32g wire, and a AW IMR 18650 battery.
Contributor
Progress to next rank:
8.5%
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 69 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
04 Feb 2013
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:18 am
I've been wondering the very same things myself Pathology. Every time I've ever tried any juice at over 12 watts, it seems scorched.

I figure I've got to be missing something. I'd like to try RBA's and the like, but not until I understand what I'm getting myself into :)
Advanced Contributor
Progress to next rank:
9.5%
Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 295 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
07 Jul 2012
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:58 am
There's a tradeoff for low ohm coils, high wattage vaping or mahoosive clouds of vapor. Its lack of taste or a scorched taste.

We all need to find our sweet spot. I'm more after taste then how much I can fog up my face or living room, after all, I do NOT want to go back to cigarettes. Huge clouds of vapor are great for video reviews. But for daily vaping? Not for me.

60/40 or 50/50 @ 8 to 9 watts works for me best.
Olympian Vaper
Progress to next rank:
6.1%
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 1428 times

Smoke Free Since:
13 Sep 2012
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:05 am
I don't do sub ohm but I have been running a 1.1-1.2 ohm coil on my aga-t and evic. It has great flavor and great vapor production. I vape between 4.1-4.8 volts with no problem.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
86.9%
Has liked: 1099 times
Been liked: 1366 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
12 Dec 2012
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:22 am
You may have have hot spots in the locations mentioned above. Secondly you WILL find liquids you do not like at these wattage's its inevitable. My old ADV tastes best out of a carto. If you stick with these lower ohm coils . You will find juices that stand up to the heat and actually taste a lot better hotter. There is a ton of trial and error with these coils. What makes this all worth while in my opinion is you will most likely find a liquid that shines this hot. The only downfall is that you will run threw them pretty fast.
Advanced Contributor
Progress to next rank:
9.5%
Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 295 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
07 Jul 2012
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:28 am
I have an AGAT 2 and a few DCT tanks I will probably never use, never opened them. They are months old.

I am not trying to give my lungs a workout, the less stress I give them the better for me. I abused them for 30 years afterall with tobacco and combustion. I walk or jog daily, depends how I feel on that given day.

Some love the high wattage vaping but until more studies are done on the subject I figure its healthier to vape on as low a wattage it takes to satisfy me and keep me off cigs.

I'm older then many of you and its just my own theory. I'm already inhaling food flavorings in the form of vapor, not sure what that will do down the road either. But its certainly better then cigarettes either way.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
86.9%

United States
Smoke Free Since:
12 Dec 2012
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:01 am
Thats a great point and im a positive there are a lot of people who feel just as you do. I totally understand trying to minimize impact in any way possible. I love sub ohm coils they make me happy. period. I didnt get into the vaping game to negate smoking I switched because I felt It was a superior better tasting method of getting nicotine. This is not harmless I know that But its a hell of a lot better than smoking a pack a day. I know that for certain.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
86.9%

United States
Smoke Free Since:
12 Dec 2012
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:35 am
Sockfootball21 wrote:I don't do sub ohm but I have been running a 1.1-1.2 ohm coil on my aga-t and evic. It has great flavor and great vapor production. I vape between 4.1-4.8 volts with no problem.

If you were to run a .8 ohm coil the only differences you would see is the response time. It would heat up much faster giving you the vape you might want that much faster.
Heroic Vaper
Progress to next rank:
35.2%
Has liked: 2625 times
Been liked: 3227 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
28 Dec 2011
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:39 am
Pathology wrote:I just got my first mechanical mod the other day and decided to build my first sub ohm coil.. I'm guessing I'm missing something here.. I did a 2/3 wrap of 32g kanthal. The whole coil glowed almost white hot, but won't pop, so I guess that's good. Its wicking decently...no burned taste, but the wire between the wick and the pos/neg posts are still glowing even though the wick is saturated. My problem is my favorite juice just tastes awful. What I'm trying to figure out is what I'm doing wrong, since I see so many people who love sub ohm coils. Does it not make your juices flavor taste bad with so much heat being produced? Heck, I see people using a lower gauge than 32g with the same amount of wraps on YouTube vaping away like its the best thing ever lol.

Help?

I guess its worth noting I'm using a (CCTS) KTS two-tone mod, AGA-T+, 400 SS mesh wick, 32g wire, and a AW IMR 18650 battery.

You have a hot spot. I always pull the wick as close to the center post as possible on the AGA t 2's. To the point it is leaning over just a bit. That should solve it. I use 30G with 3 wraps and a med coil is about .8-.9 ohms. Your bad taste issue is def a hhot spot though. The coil between the wick and centerpost should not light up.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
86.9%

United States
Smoke Free Since:
12 Dec 2012
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:49 am
In videos you always see people working out hot spots getting everything lighting up evenly then filling the tank. You never see a "wet test" of the coils. every-time I wrap a new coil and get everything situated I always drop a few drops onto the wick to see how it behaves when there is liquid on it. I would bet you will see a slightly different action. I run mine wet to dry until I see nothing red. Everyone has different methods But I would highly suggest saturating your wick and burning it off a couple times before you fill the tank to see what your coil is going to do. It is much easier to make adjustments like this. You'll know your coil is perfect when it all heats up at the same time. It can be very finicky at times, just make sure you dont nudge or bump your coil/wick in the first couple of days and you will be golden.I know this seems like a lot of work. However the first time you wrap that "perfect" coil you will realize all your Troubles were worth it. The more you take time with setting that brand new coil the better it will be. Just be patient and work with it. There will be frustrating times just set it down and come back to it later once you get everything figured out you will not regret it.
Next