Micro Coils.

All things electronic cigarette: your favorite e-cigs, e-liquids, mods or what you're vaping right now. Get it all out there!
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
86.9%
Has liked: 1099 times
Been liked: 1366 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
12 Dec 2012
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:46 pm
Something kind of new is gaining popularity. These "micro coils" are wrapped so the coils are as close to each other as possible. It alters your resistance in a funny way. I Decided to try it but I had very little silica. I rolled a SS wick oxidized the crap out of it. Wrapped 8 wraps of 28g kanthal then cut the ss wick to fit into a pheonix dripping atomizer. I was able to find some old t2 heads and used the little silica to make a bed for the ss wick to rest in. With that many wraps I ended up at 1.2 ohms. It vapes ok. I cant get it to fire on a vv mod/twist/smooth/. Maybe its a bit too. Just thought I would share some initial thoughts.
Community Moderator
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 5536 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
28 Feb 2011
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:42 pm
I've noticed that most of the eVod and T3 heads I've received the past few months have been wound in a somewhat similar fashion..two "sets", if you will, of very closely spaced coils (actually one coil, but kinda like this:
--000~~~000--
where the dashes are the wick, the 0's are the extremely closely spaced coils and the tildes are the one elongated wrap coming from the one "set" of wraps to the other.)
at either end of the main wick with a bit of space between them. I would imagine in that particular instance, the coils are set up that way to vaporize the juice closest to the point of entry, as it were, to the wick, with the dense packing of the wraps creating a more intense heating zone. Better efficiency? That would be my thinking, but can't say for sure.
Community Moderator
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 5536 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
28 Feb 2011
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:34 pm
Might try this micro-coil bidniz myself later when I tear down and clean my Phoenii; the first time I saw the eVod and T3 heads wrapped like that, it literally looked like one wrap of wire on either end, they were so closely packed together. After looking at 'em under a magnifying glass, I saw it was 3 wraps on either side of very thin wire.
Heroic Vaper
Progress to next rank:
35.2%
Has liked: 2625 times
Been liked: 3227 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
28 Dec 2011
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:18 pm
I had not heard of this. new to me but I am not much of a dripper, Might try it next time I build one though.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
1%
Has liked: 659 times
Been liked: 834 times

US
Smoke Free Since:
04 May 2012
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:36 pm
slap_maxwell wrote:I've noticed that most of the eVod and T3 heads I've received the past few months have been wound in a somewhat similar fashion..two "sets", if you will, of very closely spaced coils (actually one coil, but kinda like this:
--000~~~000--
where the dashes are the wick, the 0's are the extremely closely spaced coils and the tildes are the one elongated wrap coming from the one "set" of wraps to the other.)
at either end of the main wick with a bit of space between them. I would imagine in that particular instance, the coils are set up that way to vaporize the juice closest to the point of entry, as it were, to the wick, with the dense packing of the wraps creating a more intense heating zone. Better efficiency? That would be my thinking, but can't say for sure.

Maybe you guys remember the thread and pics when I was screaming fake Evod heads but that is exactly what they looked like on the inside. I would have never guessed it was on purpose. Every time I replace an Evod head I open it up and space the coils the way I thought theysshould be. I never noticed any difference in vape doing so except what could be in my head a faster heating time my way.
There's more leg room on the short bus.
Heroic Vaper
Progress to next rank:
44.3%
Has liked: 3351 times
Been liked: 3818 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
05 Nov 2012
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 pm
I've noticed every Evod and protank head wrapped as Slap describes.

As for putting the coils close together, I realized a long time ago it's nearly impossible to wrap coils too close together. Lately I've been doing my drippers around 2 ohms, and have often had to wrap many wraps with 32g to get the resistance I want.

I also know from the few times I've pulled cartos apart the coils are wrapped very close.

The coil I'm running on my killer right now is 2-ohms with about 6 wraps of 32g. Since that coil basically has to fit in a CE2 cup it's pretty much very tight. It vapes a dream.

IDK if it's the close spacing or just more wire, which is a larger and overall cooler heating area. I know many of the people who swear by 3-ohm cartos say it's the larger surface area of the coil that gives a better vape.

Funny, because I've really been pondering this lately and was going to start a thread about it.
Sent using zeros and ones.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
86.9%
Has liked: 1099 times
Been liked: 1366 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
12 Dec 2012
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:38 pm
I need to learn more about this... I was vaping a new coil for an hour or so then I suddenly got a short not exactly sure why. It gets your attention with a mechanical.
Olympian Vaper
Progress to next rank:
8.4%
Has liked: 1104 times
Been liked: 1166 times

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:08 pm
Funny that you mention this micro coil business today.. I saw GrimmGreen's review of the Igo-L today and it was wrapped as such.. He wrapped 28g kanthal 8 times closely together on a 3mm wick to get a 1.7ohm coil and vaped it at I think 13w.. Here's a link to the video.. He says it should look like one big coil and should heat from the inside outward with no immediate hotspots when you test fire..

http://youtu.be/-OeNaVk3Sck
Heroic Vaper
Progress to next rank:
44.3%
Has liked: 3351 times
Been liked: 3818 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
05 Nov 2012
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:29 pm
Complexed wrote:I need to learn more about this... I was vaping a new coil for an hour or so then I suddenly got a short not exactly sure why. It gets your attention with a mechanical.

Well that may have to do with it being on a SS wick.

I've just found that it's nearly impossible to actually short your coil from wrapping as close as possible. On a silica wick you can dry burn and see if there's a part not glowing, which would indicate a short and prod it a bit to separate. But really if you wrap it real close it's pretty much easy to put just enough space where the coils are not shorting against each other.
Sent using zeros and ones.
Advanced Contributor
Progress to next rank:
70.5%
Has liked: 355 times
Been liked: 526 times

US
Smoke Free Since:
01 Feb 2011
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:16 am
Been wrapping all my own coils for a while now, and I agree with the close wraps. I've tried all combinations of voltage and number of wraps, and it seems that the more wraps of wire, the better they work. Right now what is serving me best is 12 wraps of 32 gauge kanthal around 3 x 3mm cotton wicks for 4 ohms. (This only fits in my Terminator tank; very large coil!) Of course, at that high of a resistance, I have to push it with stacked 18350s. Gives me between 13 and 16 watts, depending on delivered voltage. The vape, however, seems to be my current sweet spot. Right now, in your face, full of flavor and vapor. When I go back to those dinky little 4 wrap coils, they just don't cut it.

Waiting now on some ribbon wire. Gonna see if the increased surface area will do as good as the increased number of coil wraps.
Next