Mechanical Mods???

All things electronic cigarette: your favorite e-cigs, e-liquids, mods or what you're vaping right now. Get it all out there!
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
22.7%
Has liked: 640 times
Been liked: 821 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
19 Nov 2012
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:11 am
Ok, this is something I've been wondering for a while, what is the big attraction to mechanical mods? The ones I've seen give you a standard set unchangeable voltage, I'm just curious of the benefits of having a mechanical mod, is it just because they are aesthetically pleasing or am I missing something?
Community Moderator
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 5536 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
28 Feb 2011
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:38 am
Well, if you make your own coils, there is really no need for anything other than a set voltage device, especially if you are into vaping juices that all are acceptable at a certain power setting. If you generally like to vape at 9 watts, then you make a 1.5 ohm coil for your 3.7 volt device and bam! If you tend to vape at 11 watts, make a 1.3 ohm coil. With few exceptions, I tend to hang around the 8-9 watt range, maybe 10 for some NET juices. Where a VV or VW device is handy is if you use a number of different devices with different coil resistances. Maybe you use a T3 at 2.5 ohms as well as a Phoenix or an A7 with 1.7 ohm coils. Also, keep in mind that using SS wick will generally require a higher wattage because the wick will dissipate some of the coil's heat whereas silica and/or cotton generally wouldn't.
Heroic Vaper
Progress to next rank:
44.3%
Has liked: 3351 times
Been liked: 3818 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
05 Nov 2012
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:19 am
For me it's the simplicity of having one button to push.

Now I've been scoping out a Vamo for over a month. But I know I will most likely end up with a mechanical as my favorite mod. I want a vamo so I can have something that gives me a range above a Twist. But I've also fallen into the RBA pit, and realize that I can set up a mechanical mod, expect that most of my vape will be at 3.6-V and wrap a coil to tune in my wattage. Then all I have is one button to push.

I think there's been a ton of hype recently over the amount of VV and VW devices made. They certainly are useful for finding out what you like. But I think the people creating the hype can't see the fact that you have the ability to either buy attys or make your own coils to tune a simple mechanical mod to match the heat you want.
Sent using zeros and ones.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
22.7%
Has liked: 640 times
Been liked: 821 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
19 Nov 2012
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:19 am
Ok that makes a lot of sense, thanks for clearing that up. Now net juices what exactly are they
Community Moderator

USA
Smoke Free Since:
28 Feb 2011
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:23 am
Naturally Extracted Tobacco.

Also the output current of a mechanical mod will be limited only by the protection (or not) of the battery. Most VV and VW mods have current limiting built in so that you cannot go over a set current, whether you want to or not.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
28.6%
Has liked: 3434 times
Been liked: 1707 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
22 Mar 2011
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:33 am
I think a mechanical mod is a must have in your vaping arsenal whether you use it regularly or not. All the reasons stated above are valid. My main reason for having one is the fact that regardless of how well built or highly regarded your variable voltage/variable power device is, electronic components can and will eventually fail . When it does it won't be an an opportune time. With no electronics or wires involved, as long as I have a battery, I can vape.

I personally prefer regulated output though I still have a mechanical just in case.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
31.6%
Has liked: 1441 times
Been liked: 735 times

Minnesota
Smoke Free Since:
25 Nov 2011
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:45 am
RCO67 wrote:I think a mechanical mod is a must have in your vaping arsenal whether you use it regularly or not. All the reasons stated above are valid. My main reason for having one is the fact that regardless of how well built or highly regarded your variable voltage/variable power device is, electronic components can and will eventually fail . When it does it won't be an an opportune time. With no electronics or wires involved, as long as I have a battery, I can vape.

I personally prefer regulated output though I still have a mechanical just in case.

I was going to say basically the same thing...no fancy circuit boards to decide to die! Drop in the tub? The mod is still perfect. You can't burn them up like vv/vw mods. They are more like a flashlight...might have to tweak the connecting coil occasionally or change the bulb, but other than batteries, they just last forever!
Olympian Vaper
Progress to next rank:
6.1%
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 1428 times

Smoke Free Since:
13 Sep 2012
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:14 am
I understand all of that, but I personally don't vape at one voltage or wattage all day everyday. I will tweak my wattage up and down all day. Sometimes my juice will taste better at a lower wattage(sitting around the house) sometimes it will taste better at a higher wattage(normally when I'm walking around). Also sometimes I want more throat hit so I will increase the wattage. I love my VV and VW
Community Moderator

USA
Smoke Free Since:
28 Feb 2011
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:23 am
Nothing wrong with that...vive la différence! :) :)
Heroic Vaper
Progress to next rank:
35.2%
Has liked: 2625 times
Been liked: 3227 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
28 Dec 2011
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:30 am
For me it is the power you get when you put a genesis atty on it. If I build a coild with Ribbon wire on a genesis that is like 1.0 ohms there is no VV mod that can fire it. A mechanical mod will and it gives you the absolute best vape. You do not have to worry about the amp limit like you do with all the VV mods. Nothing works as well as a mechanical mod if you use a genesis atty.
Next