Board index Electronic Cigarettes General Vaping Discussion LR Protank = Burnt Vape

LR Protank = Burnt Vape

All things electronic cigarette: your favorite e-cigs, e-liquids, mods or what you're vaping right now. Get it all out there!
Olympian Vaper
Progress to next rank:
8.4%
Has liked: 1104 times
Been liked: 1166 times

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm
So I bought a bunch of 1.8 and 1.5 ohm coil heads for my Protank thinking I could use them both on my mech and my Vamo but boy was I wrong. Idk y but when I try vaping on my Vamo or even my GF's SID I get such a disgustingly burnt taste. In voltage mode at 3.7v, burnt, at 3.3v, burnt, at 7w, burnt, at 6w burnt. On the other hand, popping it on my mech, taste great, plumes of vapor, no issues. What's going on?? I thought maybe the head just needed to be "broken in" but even on a 2nd fill I still kept getting a weird taste. I have to put my Vamo or the SID on the lowest possible setting just to NOT get a burnt taste. At the lowest settings, its just not an enjoyable vape. Idk if its just me but don't use a LR Protank coil on a regulated mod. I can use a LR carto or atty on them and they vape great. It's seems to be just with the LR Protank coils..
Senior Moderator
Has liked: 2132 times
Been liked: 4182 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
23 Apr 2012
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:28 pm
Nev NYC wrote:So I bought a bunch of 1.8 and 1.5 ohm coil heads for my Protank thinking I could use them both on my mech and my Vamo but boy was I wrong. Idk y but when I try vaping on my Vamo or even my GF's SID I get such a disgustingly burnt taste. In voltage mode at 3.7v, burnt, at 3.3v, burnt, at 7w, burnt, at 6w burnt. On the other hand, popping it on my mech, taste great, plumes of vapor, no issues. What's going on?? I thought maybe the head just needed to be "broken in" but even on a 2nd fill I still kept getting a weird taste. I have to put my Vamo or the SID on the lowest possible setting just to NOT get a burnt taste. At the lowest settings, its just not an enjoyable vape. Idk if its just me but don't use a LR Protank coil on a regulated mod. I can use a LR carto or atty on them and they vape great. It's seems to be just with the LR Protank coils..

IMHO, something is seriously wrong!

When my PT arrived, it had a very airy draw indeed and I really had to crank UP the wattage on the old Vamo and the SVD as well to get the flavor and vape I prefer. But it did deliver but only with a much higher wattage.

And I have never gotten a burnt taste when I was up at the 12 watt setting with the PT heads.

From around my usual 8.5 watts (plus or minus) depending on the juice. I does make a difference as I am sure you know.

Then I stuck in a 2.5ohm Evod head, the draw was tighter and I could go back down to the 8.5 watt range with extreme pleasure!

I don't know if this means "squat" but I did clean and rinse my PT as soon as I got the sucker.

My only suspicion on this issue is that you got a bad batch and you should take it up from wherever you got it from.

Other than that, I got nothing for you I am sad to say :oops:

It's all mind over matter. If no one seems to mind, it really doesn't matter!

unclerj
Olympian Vaper
Progress to next rank:
8.4%

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:34 pm
I did leave out the fact that the heads were for an Evod. I have never had a problem with the 2.5ohm coil heads.. This is only seems to be happening with the LR heads.. Same as you, with a 2.5ohm head, I can go from 9-11w with no problems.. I suspected maybe it was just a bad head but I tried both 1.5 and 1.8(which I got from different vendors) and got similar results with both, burnt.. Both of them vape great on my mech.
Senior Moderator

USA
Smoke Free Since:
23 Apr 2012
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:53 pm
Nev NYC wrote:I did leave out the fact that the heads were for an Evod. I have never had a problem with the 2.5ohm coil heads.. This is only seems to be happening with the LR heads.. Same as you, with a 2.5ohm head, I can go from 9-11w with no problems.. I suspected maybe it was just a bad head but I tried both 1.5 and 1.8(which I got from different vendors) and got similar results with both, burnt.. Both of them vape great on my mech.

I really don't mean to come of as a "smart ass" here but if you like the PT, just stick with the 2.5 ohm head and crank the sucker up?

I am actually vaping it on my Vamo as I write this.

And after about 3 weeks, I am more than likely to get another PT along with a stockpile of 2.5 ohm heads.

All of that being said, I seem to prefer a cooler vape than most do.

My best wishes for finding your PT vape perfection!

Still could be a bad run of LR heades that where spit between different sources of supply............?

unclerj
Olympian Vaper
Progress to next rank:
24.2%
Has liked: 930 times
Been liked: 1282 times
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:19 pm
I suggest try those heads on an evod & seeing if that tastes burnt as well.
If it does indeed taste burnt with both the pro-tank & the evod then you probably have faulty heads.
If it tastes alright on the evod then the problem is with the pro-tank.
As Always at Your Service,Snake.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
86.8%
Has liked: 1099 times
Been liked: 1364 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
12 Dec 2012
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:05 pm
Maybe It works better with direct current. I don't have any experience with the protank so im not too informed. Can you change the type of output your vamo sends? from like mean to average. Is the vamo a psw device?
Olympian Vaper
Progress to next rank:
8.4%

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:07 pm
I actually finally figured this problem out.. Since the coils were working fine on my K100 which is a fixed voltage mech mod, I couldn't understand why even set at 3.7v was I getting a burnt hit.. Toyed around with my Vamo and figured out I mistakenly switched off the RMS mode.. Once I set it back to NO2 setting, Vamo!! Back in business.. I must've accidentally held the button too long while reading ohms one day and never realized.. It just so happened that I was bored watching Grimm Green's Vamo review and remembered to check to see if I had accidentally switched it..
Senior Moderator

USA
Smoke Free Since:
23 Apr 2012
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:13 pm
Nev NYC wrote:I actually finally figured this problem out.. Since the coils were working fine on my K100 which is a fixed voltage mech mod, I couldn't understand why even set at 3.7v was I getting a burnt hit.. Toyed around with my Vamo and figured out I mistakenly switched off the RMS mode.. Once I set it back to NO2 setting, Vamo!! Back in business.. I must've accidentally held the button too long while reading ohms one day and never realized.. It just so happened that I was bored watching Grimm Green's Vamo review and remembered to check to see if I had accidentally switched it..

I am thinking you may have a Vamo V1.

The V2 lets you know if you are in VV or VW mode without the NO1 or NO2 display thingies.

But as long as you are happy that is all that counts :mrgreen:

unclerj
Olympian Vaper
Progress to next rank:
8.4%

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:52 pm
It does show whether its in VV or VW mode but I normally run it in power mode around 9w.. I was having this problem mostly in power mode and would switch over to voltage to see if it made a difference but I'm assuming the burnt taste carried over when switching modes.. Once you get a burnt vape it usually doesn't disappear instantly, at least in my experience.. I actually still have one of the heads I had this problem with in use.. It's currently reading 2ohms but was bought at a supposed 1.8ohms and I'm able to run it at 3.7-4.2v with no problem.. The lower the juice level gets in my tank, the higher I'm able to crank the power.. For whatever reason, the juice I'm vaping gets thicker and darker as it gets vaped.. Before I last refilled I actually cranked it up to 4.4 with no problem which is a bit high for a 2ohm head.. I don't really care for the break in period on these heads.. Don't get me wrong, I love using my Protanks but recently I've been using cartos and carto tanks much more.. I find the vape just a bit more satisfying with a better flavor..
Olympian Vaper
Progress to next rank:
24.2%
Has liked: 930 times
Been liked: 1282 times
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:33 pm
Nev NYC wrote:For whatever reason, the juice I'm vaping gets thicker and darker as it gets vaped..

This was happening to me quite a bit too & did some research and found an article on the phenomenon.
The 2 main reasons this can happen seem to be.
When you are running at too high of a voltage or wattage.
Or just over vaping can do it too.
Basically your cooking the e-liquid.Just add a very small drop of distilled water or a very small drop of vodka* to your e-liquid in the tank & let it sit for a few minutes.Then you should be good to go again.

*Vodka will give the e-liquid quite a bit more throat hit so be very careful on your inhales.
As Always at Your Service,Snake.
Next