FC-2000 Ceramic Wick

All things electronic cigarette: your favorite e-cigs, e-liquids, mods or what you're vaping right now. Get it all out there!
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
22.7%
Has liked: 640 times
Been liked: 824 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
19 Nov 2012
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:54 pm
I just saw these Ceramic Wicks http://www.discountvapers.com/fc-2000-ceramic-wick-3-32nd/, has anyone tried these wicks and how do they perform?

Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
1%
Has liked: 659 times
Been liked: 834 times

US
Smoke Free Since:
04 May 2012
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:12 pm
I haven't tried them but PBusardo talked about them in a couple of his videos and also showed how he broke a bunch. From what he says they don't wick well unless you are using a very high pg juice. He said he had a problem with those wicking a 70pg/30vg juice. Plus they are very brittle. I can see myself breaking a bunch before I even got them in the device.
There's more leg room on the short bus.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
22.7%

USA
Smoke Free Since:
19 Nov 2012
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:20 pm
mrcrunch08 wrote:I haven't tried them but PBusardo talked about them in a couple of his videos and also showed how he broke a bunch. From what he says they don't wick well unless you are using a very high pg juice. He said he had a problem with those wicking a 70pg/30vg juice. Plus they are very brittle. I can see myself breaking a bunch before I even got them in the device.

You sure he was talking about FC2000 or was he talking about Bubble Stone?
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
1%

US
Smoke Free Since:
04 May 2012
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:23 pm
It was the fc2000. You can even find pics of ones he broke and a poorly performing one on tasteyourjuice.
Heroic Vaper
Progress to next rank:
44.3%
Has liked: 3351 times
Been liked: 3819 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
05 Nov 2012
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:27 pm
They're pretty damn expensive from what I heard, and very brittle.

I've watched some of scubabatdan's videos, he seems to be the leader of the fanboys. ANd the last one was a 1/4" ceramic wick that he drilled a horizontal hole through to put the coil inside. In the video he still had to tip the tank to get it to wick. So that means it likely wicks like total shit. I've got 1/8" solid mesh wicks that don't require a tilt with a full tank.

Also RipTrippers, the guy in your video, is the king of jackasses IMO. I've watched a fefw of his videos, many times he's touting one thing as the greatest thing in the world then a week later touting something completely different without acknowledging the stuff he said in the past. He speaks with such auhority for someone who constantly flip flops, and is generally wrong about most of what he says.

I should also note this thing started by cutting aquarium airstones to make the wicks. It was eventually found that these stones had been treated with chemicals to inhibit algae growth. So you may come across videos about these stones, just be warned that it's a bad idea.

I've heard much better things about Nextel ceramic braid, which is a soft material. I haven't used it, but I understand it's a sleeve much like the little tubes you'll find inside cartos, or the sleeves you'll find protecting the coils in some vivi and CE5 heads. Those stuff (i assume) are silica. I've heard people are putting mesh inside the ceramic sleeve and having very good results. The only downside is you have to flame this ceramic for five minutes to burn off the toxic impurities in it.
Sent using zeros and ones.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
22.7%

USA
Smoke Free Since:
19 Nov 2012
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:27 pm
Well that sucks it sounded very promising, and a interesting alternative to SS mesh.
Community Moderator
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 5537 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
28 Feb 2011
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:29 pm
The fc-2000 is extremely fragile. A couple people in my vape group tried it -- you really have to be super careful with it. My concern would be the possibility of inhaling friable ceramic from something like that.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
86.9%
Has liked: 1099 times
Been liked: 1366 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
12 Dec 2012
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:40 pm
I know to stay away from bubble stone. Its treated with chemicals. SS is the safest genesis type wick to use. For the most part ive only seen people saying it doesnt wick very well and its all Hype..I know people are also using nextel the problem for me with that stuff is you have to tourch it forever until it stops glowing green.....
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
1%

US
Smoke Free Since:
04 May 2012
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:43 pm
slap_maxwell wrote:The fc-2000 is extremely fragile. A couple people in my vape group tried it -- you really have to be super careful with it. My concern would be the possibility of inhaling friable ceramic from something like that.

I never would have thought about that and I can definitely see that happening.

Progress to next rank:
6%
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

United States
Smoke Free Since:
27 Mar 2009
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:29 pm
Muertala and all,

I am using the 1/8 FC2000 from DiscountVaper in an original DID fits perfectly. I will say break in time is a bit longer than I would like however the vapor production and taste is worth the tank and half to wait for. I use a 5/4 wrap using 32g K-A1 on a Ver 2.0 Provari. Res. is 2.4 and I vape at 3.9-4.2 volts. Like I said Vapor and taste is outstanding. I have been a Genesis user for nearly two years and PV user 4 years tomorrow. Any way this is the best thing that has come out since the Genesis itself. I have no more short issues and been using the same Ceramic wick now for over a month. As to it being fragile that is relative to the user. I have dropped mine twice on the ground and topped it over 3-5 times hard on my desk and the wick shows no signs of damage and I have re-wrapped several coils and torched the wick to clean it.

Personally I think the ~$12 is worth the three wicks and no more shorts and hot spot issues. Vapor and Taste vs SS Mesh my opinion not much difference but the lack of issue makes this my choice..

Food for thought Guys and Gals.
Next