Cotton for a wick?

All things electronic cigarette: your favorite e-cigs, e-liquids, mods or what you're vaping right now. Get it all out there!
Contributor
Progress to next rank:
21%
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 226 times

united states
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:03 pm
Hi guys, I was just wondering if it were possible to somehow make a wick using cotton. Like regular cotton balls, stretch one out, and twist it up. Or maybe buy cotton gauze and use that. If it does work, does anyone know how well? Thanks in advance!

- People who like this, will be likes right back! :D -
- I like "likes" and I also "Like" people who like me! This site is about making friends, and what better way to do it than by liking someone, and then they like you back. Then they add you as a friend, and from then on who knows! -
Heroic Vaper
Progress to next rank:
44.2%
Has liked: 3351 times
Been liked: 3816 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
05 Nov 2012
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:19 pm
Yes, and quite a few people do it. The main concern is to make sure it's got no wax or other chemicals on it. I use plain old cheesecloth from the supermarket. I also use a pure cotton roll from the pharmacy. Both are pure cotton and nead no preparation. Many people use Cotton yarn, and just boil it well to remove any impurities.

I think cotton wicks much much better than silica, it also doesn't get that nasty taste that silica gets. The only problem is that it will burn very quickly if it's not kept wet.
Sent using zeros and ones.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
85.3%
Has liked: 1097 times
Been liked: 1357 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
12 Dec 2012
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:29 pm
I like cotton candy. But seriously a lot of people swear by cotton wicks. Claims such as superior flavor. I have not tried one myself. I do know for a fact you have to keep em wet.
Community Moderator
Has liked: 5034 times
Been liked: 5501 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
28 Feb 2011
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:51 pm
Yep -- been using cotton yarn myself for awhile now (Peaches and Creme Ecru 100% unbleached/non-dyed cotton yarn) whenever I need to rewick/recoil something. Cotton doesn't last as long, so keep that in mind; you'll need to replace it more often. Also, you cannot, as has been pointed out, dry-burn your coil with a cotton wick in place. But the flavor is pretty much as pure as it gets, and it wicks like crazy.