Board index Electronic Cigarettes General Vaping Discussion Can E-juice make you sick??

Can E-juice make you sick??

All things electronic cigarette: your favorite e-cigs, e-liquids, mods or what you're vaping right now. Get it all out there!
Contributor
Progress to next rank:
88.5%
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 100 times

usa
Smoke Free Since:
05 Jun 2013
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:09 am
I have heard that juice bottles should be stored at room temperature. I never thought the result of not doing would make me sick.
the other day I left my E-Juice bottle on the front seat of my car, within hours it had drastically changed color.and it ended up making me sick as a dog..
so if my advice folks:Don't leave them in your car or worse.... in direct sunlight! LOL.(and here's what I've learned)

Direct sunlight, as well as being close to bright indoor lighting (no matter the time of year) will, of course, cause this to happen faster,(change in color) but the same will happen if you don't keep you juice in a cool, dark place summer, winter - all year.
What happens in heat and faster in sunlight, is that much of the PG/VG can evaporate away and leave you with nicotine that is not diluted as much as it had been before. Since your symptoms are those of someone with nicotine poisoning it sounds like that day in the sun cause the juice to end up very strengthened. 24 mg after a few hours in the sun can be anywhere from 30-40 mg depending on how much evaporates and if you are not used to that strength and vape it as much as you do your usual, low strength, you can end up being pretty sick.

This is a good warning for everyone, especially for those living in parts of the world that have very long, hot, dry summers but applies to anyone who subjects their juice to warm temps for a while. If you leave a bottle in the heat for what you think might be too long and worry you now have strengthened the juice, check the bottle carefully and look for sighs of evaporation, such as 'sweating' on the inside of the bottle. Don't take a chance once you see a lot of water evaporated out of the juice (shaking it and getting the water drops mixed back in will not 'save' it as many say it will as what evaporates is the water mixed in with the nicotine itself and you would need to reprocess the nicotine to get the water mixed back in, shaking it to 'reabsorb' the water just mixes water into the glycerin used in the juice).
This is not all said to convince anyone vaping is 'dangerous' but like anything whether its tonight's dinner, or medication or other things you use internally, safe handling is the best practice. People tend to very careful with hardware to make sure its in perfect working order, or properly cleaned or tested well when its rebuilt and so on but very often neglect to correctly handling their juices and either ignore or do not know the correct handling of juice.
Wisdom is gained from Experience and yet
it carries the prerequisite that!
One must first survive the Experience !!

The Dragon
Contributor
Progress to next rank:
29%
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times

Usa
Smoke Free Since:
29 Jul 2013
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:24 am
From my research, i was told to keep juice in a cool dark place.
Does shopping for vape gear ever stop?? cause it seems like its my new addiction!!!!!
Olympian Vaper
Progress to next rank:
8.4%
Has liked: 1104 times
Been liked: 1166 times

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:51 pm
I constantly go through this with my GF.. She likes to do alot of outdoor activities and leaves her mod out and exposed to direct sunlight. More often than not she complains about her juice tasting like crap or it looks "cooked" because its so dark. Then she'll take a drag from mine and wonder why it tastes normal. I keep telling her that carto tanks or any tanks don't like sunlight because of the reasons you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Contributor
Progress to next rank:
88.5%
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 100 times

usa
Smoke Free Since:
05 Jun 2013
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:32 pm
Nev NYC wrote:I constantly go through this with my GF.. She likes to do alot of outdoor activities and leaves her mod out and exposed to direct sunlight. More often than not she complains about her juice tasting like crap or it looks "cooked" because its so dark. Then she'll take a drag from mine and wonder why it tastes normal. I keep telling her that carto tanks or any tanks don't like sunlight because of the reasons you mentioned.

so it would be safe to assume that if you're using a tank in any form having a metal shield around it would help :roll:
Wisdom is gained from Experience and yet
it carries the prerequisite that!
One must first survive the Experience !!

The Dragon
Olympian Vaper
Progress to next rank:
8.4%
Has liked: 1104 times
Been liked: 1166 times

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:54 pm
If going by what you say, evaporation and heat will probably have the same effect whether its a transparent tank/bottle or metal tank/container. Eliquid should be kept out of the heat and direct sunlight all together.

Senior Moderator
Has liked: 2152 times
Been liked: 4209 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
23 Apr 2012
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:03 pm
I tend to store at room temp in a dark or darkish place.

Definitely out of direct sunlight.

Nice post by the way!

And have a stern chat with your GF before she makes herself sick :roll:

It's all mind over matter. If no one seems to mind, it really doesn't matter!

unclerj
Community Moderator
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 5537 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
28 Feb 2011
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:39 pm
Just my two cents here: the nicotine may degrade with typical human-exposure temp variations and light exposure (but not an appreciable amount -- see link to anecdotal "study" by the folks at MadVapes below), and the flavorings may change due to heat (they are, after all, for the most part food flavorings which are meant to be cooked with)...but I'm not sure PG/VG can "evaporate" all that much under standard heat/light conditions. Glycerin we use in e-juice typically contains only 0.03% to 0.05% water, the rest being fats which don't really evaporate. Couldn't tell you about PG, but other types of glycol used in HVAC systems typically don't evaporate; the water they might be mixed with could, of course.

Some e-juices may contain alcohol and water, but the alcohol is usually a minor percentage that would evaporate at room temperature during aging (steeping) and just normal use in a short period of time. The water may also evaporate over time, but I would think the percentage of water added to most e-juices would be a low percentage; but even at 20% final reduced nicotine amount, it wouldn't be drastic. For example, if your base is 100 mg/ml and you reduce it to 18 mg/ml using PG/VG (a reduction of 75%) and you used 20% water in that reduction mix -- and that 20% totally evaporated, the nicotine level would effectively increase to only 21.6 mg/ml.

Mitigating this, however, is the fact that VG & PG are humectants, which attract water from the air (or other surfaces), so if you're in a humid environment, you might actually be weakening your nic mixture to a small degree by having the cap off your bottle.

I can't see nicotine percentages increasing by any appreciable amount due to "evaporation" of e-juice, but changes in flavor/juice viscosity based upon temperature I can readily see (and taste). :)

http://www.howder.com/nicstudy.jpg
Senior Moderator
Has liked: 2152 times
Been liked: 4209 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
23 Apr 2012
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:07 pm
Again, we bow to the master :ugeek:

To be quite honest, I never considered anything but keeping my juice out of direct light and above room temp!

It's all mind over matter. If no one seems to mind, it really doesn't matter!

unclerj
Progress to next rank:
24%
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

United States
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:29 am
I keep my juice stored away in a cabinet. If in the rare occasion that I must leave my PV/e-juice in the car, I bring a cooler with some ice packs and leave it in there.

Edit: I just did some reading that refrigerating e-juice can seperate the ingredients. Its still gotta be better than leaving it in the heat but just a heads up. :|
Contributor
Progress to next rank:
23%
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 78 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
12 Aug 2013
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:13 am
slap_maxwell wrote:Mitigating this, however, is the fact that VG & PG are humectants, which attract water from the air (or other surfaces), so if you're in a humid environment, you might actually be weakening your nic mixture to a small degree by having the cap off your bottle.

I can't speak to the evaporation issue, but the fact that PG is used specifically to retain moisture in products is absolutely true. Many pipe tobaccos (typically cheap, drugstore blends like Captain Black) have significant amounts of PG added to them to artificially keep the moisture high and prevent them drying out. This makes the tobacco sticky to the touch and most long-time pipe smokers shun tobacco blends containing PG. Just a little trivia from my pipe smoking days. :)
You can never make it foolproof. We fools are too ingenious.
Next