Board index Electronic Cigarettes General Vaping Discussion Braided wire coil questions

Braided wire coil questions

All things electronic cigarette: your favorite e-cigs, e-liquids, mods or what you're vaping right now. Get it all out there!
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
0.9%
Has liked: 659 times
Been liked: 834 times

US
Smoke Free Since:
04 May 2012
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:36 am
I recently seen a review from Todd saying he has been using a braided wire coil on his aga t2 so I wanted to give it a try. I have never used braided resistance wire or ribbon wire. I guess my question is if anyone tries to braid it them selves or is it something better purchased braided. I'm asking because I disassembled two of my DID's last night and tightly braided some wire to use and one came in at .7ohm's and is by far the best vaping coil I have ever made with no hot spots at all and was perfect from the fist button push. It was absolutely pure luck because the second is completely useless and no matter what I try I can't get it to work. Even when I try to check the ohm's it shows it has a short and even after braiding a couple other pieces trying ones that are more tight or less tight I am having the same problem. I have dissembled the DID and reoxidized the wick with no luck. The coil that was originally in that DID worked fine on that wick and short of making another mesh wick I'm starting to run out of ideas and hoping I am overlooking something. Could it just be the fact it isn't factory made braided wire causing the problem and the one I have working is a freak of nature?
There's more leg room on the short bus.
Olympian Vaper
Progress to next rank:
6%
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 1427 times

Smoke Free Since:
13 Sep 2012
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:47 am
I have never tried braided wire but I am currently using twisted wire and it vape great
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
0.9%

US
Smoke Free Since:
04 May 2012
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:52 am
I guess that is what I am really using because all I essentially did was twist two pieces of 32awg together. Is braided 3 + pieces?
Heroic Vaper
Progress to next rank:
44.2%
Has liked: 3351 times
Been liked: 3817 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
05 Nov 2012
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:54 am
I think you're thinking of twisted, braiding certainly wouldn't be very easy and I don't think it will perform any differently than twisting.

I have a nice little video of a cheap tool you can get to twist wire:

Sent using zeros and ones.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
0.9%

US
Smoke Free Since:
04 May 2012
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:59 am
I already made a push button spinner last night that works great but I can't get that second coil to work for anything. I even recoiled with single wire and it worked fine. IDK, it's my day off so it's going to be my project for the day.
Advanced Contributor
Progress to next rank:
28.5%
Has liked: 214 times
Been liked: 378 times

United States
Smoke Free Since:
30 Jun 2012
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:10 pm
I use twisted wire all the time. The easiest way to do it is to take a length of kanthal, allen wrench, drill, plyers (or the like).
Chuck the allen wrench (key) in the drill, Hold both ends of the kanthal with the plyers (tightly) and where the kanthal would make a 'loop', put the allwn wrench into that and while giving a little tention pull the trigger (slow speed till you get use to it). Try and keep some tension on the kanthal and you will see it twisting and when it is twisted enough the kanthal will snap at the at the allen wrench. Depending on what AWG you used you might need to flame the kanthal to make it a bit more flexible.
Note: keep in mind that this in a sense a dual coil wire and when wrapping the coil what would normally give you a .7ohm will be 1/2 of that.

Does that make any sense, lmao

Jay
Quit or DIE. . I choose. . VAPE and LIVE!!!!
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
0.9%

US
Smoke Free Since:
04 May 2012
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:16 pm
I do all that. Basically what was just said is the exact process I used to make all the twisted wire I tried. I'm going to rip apart the DID again and see if I somehow have the center post not set right since it sounds like I have been doing everything correctly and the first one works perfectly. Besides a rubber grommet that could be slipping I am running out of ideas.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
0.9%

US
Smoke Free Since:
04 May 2012
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:24 pm
sportfury wrote:I use twisted wire all the time. The easiest way to do it is to take a length of kanthal, allen wrench, drill, plyers (or the like).
Chuck the allen wrench (key) in the drill, Hold both ends of the kanthal with the plyers (tightly) and where the kanthal would make a 'loop', put the allwn wrench into that and while giving a little tention pull the trigger (slow speed till you get use to it). Try and keep some tension on the kanthal and you will see it twisting and when it is twisted enough the kanthal will snap at the at the allen wrench. Depending on what AWG you used you might need to flame the kanthal to make it a bit more flexible.
Note: keep in mind that this in a sense a dual coil wire and when wrapping the coil what would normally give you a .7ohm will be 1/2 of that.

Does that make any sense, lmao

Jay

I like the allen wrench trick. I made a setup out of a small handheld fan. After reading reading about your set up I had a duh moment. Seems like a lot less work although just to make myself feel better I did get to break one of my kids toys that they haven't used but once and make it useful. :lol: