Board index Electronic Cigarettes General Vaping Discussion Advice needed-How to intentionaly melt a tank

Advice needed-How to intentionaly melt a tank

All things electronic cigarette: your favorite e-cigs, e-liquids, mods or what you're vaping right now. Get it all out there!

Advanced Contributor
Progress to next rank:
7.5%
Has liked: 366 times
Been liked: 206 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
27 Sep 2012
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:38 pm
I've got most of my equipment in order after my "melt down Monday"...SS drip tips, metal tanks, etc. Just one thing left. The metal cap of the mini Nova still has some threads of the plastic tank fused into the threads of the metal cap...ya follow ? I've been scraping away at the plastic with a dental pick & removed about a third of it but I just can't get the correct angle on the remaining plastic. Any ideas about any chemicals I could soak it in ? I tried some citrus e-juice but no luck. I know the cap isn't a big deal but I've got a lot of time on my hands and well, you know how it goes...I refuse to be beaten by a few threads.
When in doubt about making a comment, it is often best to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt .
Veteran Vaper
Progress to next rank:
52.4%
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 428 times

United States
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 pm
Try boiling it in water. I bet that would do it.
Heroic Vaper
Progress to next rank:
44.3%
Has liked: 3351 times
Been liked: 3818 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
05 Nov 2012
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:52 pm
Acetone, or Laquer Thinner may do it.

Maybe put it in an oven on a foil tray to melt it, not sure how hot, but I'd start at 350F
Sent using zeros and ones.

Advanced Contributor
Progress to next rank:
7.5%

USA
Smoke Free Since:
27 Sep 2012
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:57 pm
I'm thinking chemicals rather than heat. If it's too hot to handle the plastic may solidify again before I can touch it. Is fingernail polish remover acetone ? I think it is...
Thanks, ppl.
When in doubt about making a comment, it is often best to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt .
Heroic Vaper
Progress to next rank:
44.3%
Has liked: 3351 times
Been liked: 3818 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
05 Nov 2012
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:06 pm
Yes, I'm not sure if fingernail polish is full strength.

I just did a quick lookup, the link below has a full list of chemicals that should have a "Severe Effect"

Acetone, ammonia, Kerosene, Muriatic Acid, Lye, and Turpentine are all "household chemical" that should melt it, assuming it's polycarbonate, which as I understand most clearo tanks are made from.

http://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance?referred_id=11033&mkwid=sJFDnHw4J&pcrid=12430988319&kw=%2bchemical+%2bresistance+chart&mt=b&gclid=CJyZl-6MoLYCFeRlOgodITwAZA
Sent using zeros and ones.
Veteran Vaper
Progress to next rank:
52.4%
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 428 times

United States
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:08 pm
Paint thinner will melt some plastics. Might be worth a try.
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
1%
Has liked: 659 times
Been liked: 834 times

US
Smoke Free Since:
04 May 2012
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 pm
Lets rename this thread to "How many ways can things go bad". lol. The best answer is always the simplest. Why don't you just keep it simple and just torch it. It's stainless steel and will keep it's shape plus clean up nicely. No dangerous chemicals or wasting time going out looking for crazy stuff. All you need is some pliers or something to hold it with and a grill lighter if going the cheap route. Hell, it would be a perfect excuse to buy a small torch lighter that would also come in handy when making ss wicks.
There's more leg room on the short bus.

Advanced Contributor
Progress to next rank:
7.5%

USA
Smoke Free Since:
27 Sep 2012
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 pm
ahaha, yes, a torch could be fun ! Fire good ! oh, I have a butane lighter with a torch like flame, that'd probably work...I wonder if the terms of my release allow me to play with fire....better check .
Olympian Vaper
Progress to next rank:
40.3%
Has liked: 3563 times
Been liked: 2037 times

U.S.A
Smoke Free Since:
0- 2-2009
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:57 pm
thats stinks you cannot reach areas to get it all!! wouldn't using something like chemicals to melt the rest still leave you unable to scrape that area off?? plus it would eat into areas you clean off already..

my darling non regular vaping hubby decided he wanted his cinnamon juice this weekend and grabbed the tank i had just clean night before and by time i got up, it had clouded up and started to melt!! damn man had to use my new VFF vaperfexion purple freaking tank and now i have a tank that has a crackled look to it and see thru purple instead of dark purple, grrrr!! anyhows, i scraped it with a metal cuticle scraper and stuck it in boiling water for a minute or two for areas that were hard to get, repeated the boiling water part when plastic hardened back up after cooling.. took about half hour but got all chunky plastic and all scraped off that way.. not so sure i would use chemicals like fingernail polish and so forth to get it cleaned up, it will seep into plastic and do you really want to have that aftertaste in your ejuices?? best to use heat methods to try and get it all i think..
~~Image~~
with the awesome kayfun mini V2.1 on whatever purple regulated MOD suits my mood
Elite Vaper
Progress to next rank:
28.6%
Has liked: 3434 times
Been liked: 1707 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
22 Mar 2011
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:00 pm
You could consider the opposite end of the spectrum and freeze it for awhile. That should cause some contraction that should make the plastic more brittle at least temporarily. Then take a dental instrument to it?
Next