Board index Electronic Cigarettes Mods DIY Mods Vamo - Fix That Center Pin The Right Way

Vamo - Fix That Center Pin The Right Way

Come here and ask questions, learn, and find out how to do it yourself. Exercise caution!
Community Moderator
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 5537 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
28 Feb 2011
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:53 pm
So, it was bound to happen; the other day the original grommet on my Vamo fell apart and I got the dreaded resistance errors. I was going to just run up and buy some #60 o-rings for a quick and dirty fix (which is really all that is), but remembered I had a couple of dead eGo batteries still laying around. I went all Hulk on one of them, smashing it up so that I could remove the grommet from the center pin hole. Took a little fiddling, but I got it into the Vamo center pin hole and it works great.

The easiest way would be, of course, to unsolder the center pin from the white wire, insert grommet and resolder, but I couldn't find my solder gun, so I had to fiddle and fart around until I got it to go. But in digging around, I found out AvidVaper sells the grommets in handy 4-packs. Gonna order me some for the next time I get stoopid and ruin another grommet from zealous over-tightening whilst in an inebriated state. (Who said that?) :lol: :oops:

http://www.avidvaper.com/510-threaded-connector-insulators/
Senior Moderator
Has liked: 2159 times
Been liked: 4214 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
23 Apr 2012
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:05 pm
Speaking from my own individual skill set.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :roll:

If mine ever dies on me, I am hoping you will take pity on me and fix the sucker.

That way I won't hurt myself!

And yes, I am a complete klutz!

It's all mind over matter. If no one seems to mind, it really doesn't matter!

unclerj
Community Moderator
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 5537 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
28 Feb 2011
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:10 pm
It would probably only take 5 minutes or less if you were to unsolder the center pin and slip the grommet down the wire and fit it into the hole then solder the pin back on the wire. Took me about 20 minutes and a whole slew of curse words to stretch the grommet over the damn center pin and get it into the hole. :lol: :lol:
Senior Moderator
Has liked: 2159 times
Been liked: 4214 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
23 Apr 2012
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:33 pm
slap_maxwell wrote:It would probably only take 5 minutes or less if you were to unsolder the center pin and slip the grommet down the wire and fit it into the hole then solder the pin back on the wire. Took me about 20 minutes and a whole slew of curse words to stretch the grommet over the damn center pin and get it into the hole. :lol: :lol:

What part of DUHHHHHHHHH did you not understand :lol:

Seriously, I can personally engineer some rather complex mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic systems.

I have even consulted for the DOD (they are even worse than me sometimes). But I would have to kill you if I told you the details. Sorry, they would have to kill you because I would mess it up :roll:

I can even diagnose some automotive problems to keep my mechanic on the strait and narrow.

But truth be told, there is a severe disconnect between my brain and my ham fingered hands.

Mrs. Uncle does not let me near tools of any kind and she is a wise woman indeed.

If this helps, I can still swear like a sailor.

It's all mind over matter. If no one seems to mind, it really doesn't matter!

unclerj
Heroic Vaper
Progress to next rank:
44.3%
Has liked: 3351 times
Been liked: 3819 times

USA
Smoke Free Since:
05 Nov 2012
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:47 pm
Funny, I was just clearing some old stuff out of my Vape drawer today and came across the pack of #60 o-ring I bought proactively expecting to have to use them. My original Vamo, which still gets a bit of my attention has a nearly stripped connector, but the seal is still intact.

In the meantime the seal on my MKB collector tank leaked when I first got it. I slathered it up with vaseline, but if that doesn't work I'm betting these #60 o-rings will be the perfect size for it.
Sent using zeros and ones.